Sunday, February 9, 2014

It Was 50 Years Ago Today...

Don't get too excited about my blog being back... it's not. My writing rut most certainly continues. Sorry. I can still make lists, though... and as I sit here watching the 50th Anniversary Beatles special on CBS I thought I'd rank my Top 50 Beatles songs just for the hell of it: 
  1. Please Please Me – a perfect record; arguably one of the purest, most genuine musical compositions of all time
  2. I’ll Follow the Sun
  3. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - my favorite song on my favorite album
  4. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away – John Lennon channeling his inner Bob Dylan
  5. Got to Get You Into My Life
  6. We Can Work it Out
  7. I Saw Her Standing There
  8. I Will – I sang this one to my oldest daughter every single night until she was three
  9. Penny Lane
  10. Let It Be - I often wonder if Paul McCartney knew it was over when he penned this one
  11. All My Loving
  12. Here There and Everywhere
  13. I Should Have Known Better – how can you not love any song with a harmonica?
  14. Paperback Writer
  15. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End – “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”
  16. I Feel Fine
  17. Here Comes the Sun – George Harrison at his absolute finest
  18. Fixing a Hole
  19. The Long and Winding Road
  20. Eight Days a Week
  21. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  22. Do You Want to Know a Secret
  23. Twist and Shout – four words: “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”
  24. Real Love
  25. Revolution
  26. In My Life - an amazing nugget stuck smack-dab in the middle of "Rubber Soul" (Side Two)
  27. From Me to You
  28. Ballad of John & Yoko
  29. Blackbird
  30. Ticket to Ride – always reminds me of the Eddie Murphy “5th Beatle” skit on Saturday Night Live
  31. Her Majesty – the single best 23-second ditty this side of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star”
  32. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
  33. Getting Better
  34. Can’t Buy Me Love – if only because it was the theme song to one of my favorite 80’s movies
  35. Free as a Bird – the only Beatles single I actually purchased myself (since it wasn’t released until 1996)
  36. Hello Goodbye
  37. Across the Universe
  38. Hey Jude
  39. Nowhere Man
  40. Julia – a wonderful song about Lennon's mother; I used to sing to my niece of the same name when she was a baby
  41. If I fell
  42. Eleanor Rigby
  43. Drive My Car
  44. I Want to Hold Your Hand – pointless and uber-poppy, but a sentimental favorite nonetheless
  45. Yesterday
  46. Good Morning, Good Morning
  47. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
  48. With A Little Help From My Friends - because I had to get Ringo in here somewhere
  49. A Day in the Life
  50. Day Tripper




No comments:

Post a Comment